SU hosts largest job and internship fair of the semester

The largest job and internship recruitment event to visit Syracuse University this semester has drawn dozens of students to the Career Services this past week for resume critiques and interview tips.

The actual week of events of ‘Cuse Career Week started Monday with resume critiques and continues through Friday as an interview blitz day at the Panasci Lounge in the Schine Student Center.

This semester’s career week is currently at capacity for the number of employers Panasci can hold, said Susan Call, associate director of employer relations at SU. There is currently a waiting list for employers for the ‘Cuse Job and Internship Fair on Thursday.

The event started last week, with many students dropping by the extended resume critique hours, said Chuck Reutlinger, associate director of Career Services.

Reutlinger said that the extra time allows for more students to prepare for the week of interviews and fairs ahead.

“We’re trying to help students prepare a resume to generate a conversation,” Reutlinger said.

Reutlinger said that career fairs allow employers “to come out and shop for talent.” He said it also gives students the chance to talk face-to-face with people in their profession.

Reutlinger added that career fairs are good for people who know what they are after, but it also gives others a chance to educate themselves on the job opportunities that are out there.

Every industry has a different timeline for hiring, Call said. Some do it in the fall, and some in the spring, which is the reason for two different career weeks each academic semester.

This semester, ‘Cuse Career Week will be combined with the Nonprofit and Government Career Fair. Last year, the fair was held in February, Call said. There will be a nonprofit service panel on Wednesday night preceding the fair moderated by student ambassadors of the employers.

“The ‘Cuse Job and Internship Fair will have a strong flavor of nonprofits this spring,” Call said.

Some of the nonprofit employers at the event this year include the Peace Corps, Teach for America and American Red Cross. Call said she encourages students to go on OrangeLink either online or on the mobile app to see which employers will be at the fair and where they are located in Panasci Lounge.

“The fairs are open to everyone. A (College of Visual and Performing Arts) student can go to a (Martin J. Whitman School of Management) fair and a Whitman student can go to (a School of Information Studies) fair,” Call said. “Employers are looking for that.”

About 75-80 employers will be at the fair, said Magnolia Salas, communications and marketing director for Career Services. She said Career Services plans to release a layout of the room which “can be really helpful” for students to know.

She recommended that students plan their first, second and third employers that they want to talk to.

“Work backwards from your seventh pick employer to get rid of the nerves by the time you talk to your number one employer,” Salas said. “Develop a 30 second pitch and let (employers) know you have done your research.”

Last year, 738 students and 86 employers attended the spring career fair, according to the Career Services website. Salas said that 24 percent of last year’s graduating class reported obtaining a full-time job or internship through a campus connection such as a career fair.

Salas said it is never too early to start looking for and exploring job opportunities. She added that career fairs are a good way to do that, and said freshmen and sophomores should visit the event to get a feel for a career fair environment.

“It’s easy to say, ‘I’ll worry about it later.’ But sometimes taking 15-20 minutes to see the vibe of a career fair will help you in the future,” Salas said. “Take the networking opportunity. Why not take it?”