‘It’s On Us’ adapts to national, local leadership change during Trump administration

Codie Yan | Staff Photographer

Samantha Skaller was SU's "It's On Us" student ambassador before she graduated in May.

UPDATED: Oct. 1, 2017 at 7:40 p.m.

As Syracuse University’s chapter of the national “It’s On Us” organization adapts to new local leadership, the group faces additional challenges from President Donald Trump’s administration, organizers said.

Emily Durand, a junior English Education major at SU, was appointed to the organization’s Student Advisory Committee earlier this year. Samantha Skaller, SU’s former student ambassador, graduated in May.

To make the transition smooth, Skaller trained Durand before she left.

“It’s been a great experience. I love what I’m doing, and it’s very empowering,” said Durand, who has been working with “It’s On Us” since her freshman year.

“It’s On Us,” part of the Civic Nation nonprofit, is a national campaign that aims to promote awareness of college sexual assault.

Additionally, as United States Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos prepares to dismantle existing sexual assault Title IX guidelines at colleges, “It’s On Us” has become more determined to spread its message, Skaller said.

“It’s On Us” is encouraging schools to uphold Title IX, a section of the Education Amendments of 1972 that protects students from discrimination at schools receiving federal aid.

“I know there’s a concern that we’re not going to be here anymore because of the changes, but we’re still here,” Durand said. “We’re still kicking.”

Both Durand and Skaller said they are confident about the survival of “It’s On Us” because the campaign — despite being launched by former President Barack Obama’s administration — is not part of the federal government.

It was intended to “sustain any administration,” Skaller said.

In addition to a local transition in leadership, the national organization is also adapting to structural changes across the country.

The Student Advisory Committee was recently expanded to more than 100 members, with even more campuses across the country showing interest in “It’s On Us.”

“We’re involving more and more students in the activism,” said Skaller, who continues to help Durand and has recently established an “It’s On Us” chapter at McGill University in Montréal. Skaller is currently a graduate student at McGill.

At SU, Durand has overseen the creation of a core team of five “captains,” each specializing in one area. Campus organizers, another new position, run the team and plan programming and events.

Durand said she hopes the changes help It’s On Us reach out to more campus groups.

“With any new organization there will always be changes, but we want to make sure that no matter what, there is a consistent message being conveyed about sexual assault awareness,” said Sarah Epelman, a junior chosen by Skaller to be a bystander captain for the team.

On the day of DeVos’ Title IX announcement, Skaller started a GoFundMe campaign on behalf of “It’s On Us.” The fundraiser has raised more than $2,000 in 12 days.

The SU chapter also plans to hold fundraising events this year, Durand said.

While the organization’s main focus is sexual assault, this semester, SU’s chapter of “It’s On Us” will focus on masculinity, both to inform students about its effects and to increase male involvement.

Currently, the group’s core team is composed of entirely women, but there are plans to include more student voices, Durand said.

“I think a year from now we’ll accept even more people on the Student Advisory Committee, and we’ll continue to build our teams on campuses and ultimately change rape culture,” Skaller said.

CLARIFICATION: In a previous version of this post, Sarah Epelman’s role in It’s On Us was unclear.