Editorial Board

Syracuse University administration should maintain progress towards creating a more inclusive campus

Brandon Bielinski | Staff Photographer

Although steps have been made to diversify student life, Syracuse University's administration has keep making progress.

As Cornell University students rally for institutional change in the aftermath of what may qualify as a hate crime against a black student, it’s important for the Syracuse University community to remember that SU is not immune to a similar incident.

The Black Students United group at Cornell held a sit-in before presenting a list of demands to the university’s president on Wednesday. The situation is reminiscent of THE General Body’s occupation of Crouse-Hinds Hall in 2014, when the student group handed its own list to SU administrators.

The circumstances for each sit-in are quite different. BSU was motivated by a black student’s report that he was punched after being called the N-word by several white students, while THE General Body based its 18-day sit-in on a list of grievances regarding the university’s treatment of diversity and students of color.

Despite the differences between the groups’ motivations, the situation at Cornell should encourage SU administrators to reflect on the 2014 sit-in it and think proactively about how it can enhance and equalize experiences for marginalized students at SU.

Some demands presented to the SU administration by THE General Body were realized in a list of recommendations developed by a working group and sent to Chancellor Kent Syveurd in 2016. SU has completed more than 15 of the 33 goals set by its Council on Diversity and Inclusion, including establishing Indigenous Peoples’ Day, making accessibility improvements and applying for grants to attract and retain underrepresented students.

Completing these ambitious goals in a limited time frame is commendable. And while it is encouraging to see the council check tasks off its list, the council’s goals must continue to grow and shift.

The council should continue its work and seek feedback from the university community on how it can address issues affecting students of color and other marginalized groups on campus. Diversity cannot be checked off a list and considered completed when marginalized communities face evolving challenges and threats.

Insight from SU students could help the council highlight student life trends and problems that require solutions. This process should start with the addition of a feedback section on SU’s diversity and inclusion website, so students can send their input directly and anonymously. 

Students shouldn’t need to raise their voices or host a sit-in to have their concerns addressed. But on campuses that are mostly white, their voices can be — and often are — drowned out.

SU has made progress in accommodating the needs of marginalized groups since THE General Body sit-in, but it is nowhere near the gold standard. By looking to Cornell, SU can forge a more inclusive student experience.

The Daily Orange Editorial Board serves as the voice of the organization and aims to contribute the perspectives of students to discussions that concern Syracuse University and the greater Syracuse community. The editorial board’s stances are determined by a majority of its members. You can read more about the editorial board here.