3 takeaways from Syracuse’s 41-6 loss to No. 1 Clemson

Max Freund | Staff Photographer

Tommy DeVito went 15-for-27 with 172 yards and an interception on Saturday against No. 1 Clemson.

After their two previous matchups were decided by three and four points, Syracuse (1-2, 0-1 Atlantic Coast) and No. 1 Clemson (3-0, 2-0) played a game much more akin to the expected point differential on Saturday.

The Tigers jumped on the Orange early, scoring two touchdowns in the first quarter. Syracuse, meanwhile, struggled to get much going offensively. SU kicked two field goals in the second quarter and trailed just 17-6 at halftime, but missed opportunities in the second half doomed Syracuse in its home opener.

The Orange managed to intercept Heisman Trophy candidate Trevor Lawrence twice in the third quarter, but were held scoreless on two drives that started inside the Clemson 10-yard line. They were ultimately shutout in the second half, and a 41-6 loss pushed SU below .500 for the first time since the 2017 season.

Here are three reactions from Syracuse’s loss to the reigning national champions. 

Pass protection problems

When redshirt sophomore Tommy DeVito had time in the pocket on Saturday, the Syracuse passing offense showed signs of life. Long gains for first downs to tight end Luke Benson and senior Moe Neal, accurate passes that found receivers’ hands, and a semblance of the gameplan that SU has struggled to show this season. 

But that didn’t happen often. DeVito was often rushed out of the pocket on throws or crushed in the backfield before he was able to escape, as Syracuse failed to put up a fight against Clemson’s pass rush for much of the game. The Tigers totaled six sacks in the first half and ultimately finished with eight, including back-to-back plays in the second quarter after SU had just made a big stop on the Clemson offense. 

The Tigers brought extra blitzers throughout, players that the Syracuse offense never accounted for. SU usually emptied the backfield to give DeVito more opportunities to get the ball out quickly, but it backfired. The lack of protection stagnated the Syracuse offense or prevented it from ever getting going against a Tigers defense that never let up. 

Regrettable rushing

During Syracuse’s first game, it was its rushing game that kept it afloat, accounting for nearly 200 yards of offense and all three of its touchdowns. Against Maryland last week, it disappeared — SU’s running backs were never able to get anything going and were held under 100 yards and no scores, as DeVito and the passing game finally found its footing. 

The downward trend continued on Saturday versus Clemson, which absolutely took SU running backs out of the game. While Neal and running back Abdul Adams had some success through the air, they were held to just 56 yards on 23 carries. Just like last week against the Terrapins, Syracuse failed to break off any big rushing plays. While Adams had a long run of 13 yards against Maryland, the longest run by a Syracuse running back on Saturday was just six yards.

The Orange had struggled with their offense being too one-dimensional through the first two games of the season, and any hope of beating the No. 1 team in the country disappeared when that continued versus the Tigers. SU’s offensive line was overwhelmed all night in the passing game and when it came to opening up holes for its running backs, it failed in that respect, too. 

Missed opportunities

Syracuse had four drives into the redzone on Saturday, and they ended with two field goals, an interception and a turnover on downs. The Orange had their chances to capitalize and turn their scoring opportunities into touchdowns, but they could never convert.

Their two field goals came when they were trailing, 14-0, at the beginning of the second quarter and 17-3 late in the first half. While the first came on a third down from the Clemson 11, the second was snapped on the doorstep of the end zone. Syracuse’s decisions to kick field goals as opposed to going for it on fourth down ultimately backfired and the Orange never found a way into paydirt.

In the second half, Syracuse had the opposite issue. Twice, SU started drives inside Clemson’s 10-yard line after its defense picked off Lawrence. Both times, Syracuse failed to score any points. On the first play following the first interception, DeVito immediately made the same mistake his counterpart did, making a poor decision and throwing a pick. 

The Orange had four chances to score following the second Lawrence interception, but gained just one yard. First, a one-yard plunge by Jarveon Howard. Then, one for no gain. Third and fourth down featured blown up plays for Syracuse, which ended up turning the ball over on downs. In a game in which its defense held its own and limited the No. 1 team in the country’s offense to the best of its ability, the Orange’s offense let the team down.