Opponent preview: What to know about the Demon Deacons

Alexandra Moreo | Senior Staff Photographer

Syracuse faces off against Wake Forest on Saturday night at 8 p.m.

Syracuse (13-9, 6-5 Atlantic Coast) has had a week off since losing to Duke last Saturday night in the Carrier Dome. The Orange return to action in another night game on Saturday when it hosts Wake Forest (10-12, 3-9). Syracuse will look to end a two-game losing skid against the worst team in the ACC. 

Here’s what to know about the Demon Deacons ahead of the matchup.

All-time series: Syracuse leads 8-1 

Last time they played: Syracuse cruised to a 25-point victory at Wake Forest last March. Tyus Battle led the Orange with 21 points while Elijah Hughes scored 18 points and grabbed seven rebounds. 

The Wake Forest report: The Demon Deacons currently sit last in the ACC standings, and their statistics show that shouldn’t be a surprise. Wake Forest’s effective field goal percentage ranks 242nd in the country, and they turn the ball over more frequently than 256 other Division I teams. In its last nine games, Wake Forest has won just two — Boston College and Clemson at home. 

Guard Brandon Childress leads the way in scoring with 15.3 points per game. But 7-foot center Olivier Sarr could pose the biggest problem for Syracuse. The Orange have struggled to defend dominant big men throughout the season, and Sarr enters the game averaging 13 points and 9.4 rebounds per game. Wake Forest doesn’t rely heavily on the 3-pointer and will likely try to drive and jam the ball inside for contested layups or trips to the foul line. 

How Syracuse beats the Demon Deacons: Syracuse needs to limit Sarr from having a dominant performance and play its game offensively. Wake Forest forces turnovers at one of the lowest rates in the country and doesn’t rank particularly well in any single defensive statistic. Syracuse’s offensive play will likely rely more on how it shoots and takes care of the ball rather than anything dictated by Wake Forest. 

The Demon Deacons shoot 33% from beyond the arc and don’t like to rely on long range offensive shots. If Syracuse can stifle the Wake Forest offense the same way it did with bad shooting teams like Pittsburgh and Boston College in the Carrier Dome, it will be more than fine. 

Stat to know: 24.1% — Nearly one-fourth of Wake Forest’s points come from the free-throw line. That’s the sixth-highest percentage in the country. 

KenPom odds: The Orange have a 75% chance to win the game, with a final score prediction of 79-72 per KenPom.

Player to watch: Olivier Sarr, Center No. 30

Sarr is a 7-foot tall junior from France. Averaging nearly a double-double at 13 points and 9.4 rebounds, he’s the kind of big man that could feast on a weak down-low defense for Syracuse. How Syracuse handles Sarr on Saturday could determine the outcome of the game.