Men's Soccer

Syracuse climbs 4 spots to No. 18 in United Soccer Coaches Poll

Griffin Uribe Brown | Staff Photographer

After a 5-0 win against NC State and a penalty shootout victory over Virginia to advance to the ACC semifinals, Syracuse climbed four spots to No. 18 in the United Soccer Coaches Poll.

Syracuse men’s soccer (8-3-7, 2-1-5 Atlantic Coast Conference) rose to No. 18 in the United Soccer Coaches Poll, which was announced Tuesday. 

Syracuse headed into the ACC tournament on Nov. 1, with two straight ties against NC State and Boston College. But the Orange responded with two wins, first defeating NC State in the first round and then No. 9 Virginia in the tournament quarterfinals to clinch their second straight ACC semifinals appearance. 

Boosted by Daniel Diaz-Bonilla’s two goals and two assists off the bench, SU was dominant in its first round game, defeating the Wolfpack 5-0 for its largest victory this season. Diaz-Bonilla hadn’t registered an assist in 13 appearances for Syracuse prior to its showdown with NC State. 

“I’d like to think I was due,” Diaz-Bonilla said after the victory. “I don’t know if I was expecting two goals and two assists…I kind of felt like a goal was coming.”

In the quarterfinals against third-seeded Virginia, Syracuse came from behind to equalize late in regulation. Midfielders Mateo Leveque and Lorenzo Boselli worked a give-and-go at the top of the box to tie the game at 1-1. Then, after two scoreless overtime sessions, the Orange outlasted the Cavaliers 4-3 on penalty kicks. Following an early miss from Boselli, SU converted four straight kicks with Diaz-Bonilla firing the deciding kick into the top left corner. 

“This is a tough group that keeps on fighting, keeps on pushing and finds a way to work to win and move on,” Syracuse head coach Ian McIntyre said. 

Pitted against No. 7 North Carolina on Wednesday, Syracuse has a chance to clinch a berth in back-to-back ACC championships for the first time in program history.